Saturday, December 6, 2014

Studying effectively

As the semester has come to an end, I have realized that I need to study more effectively so I can do well on my finals.  During the semester, I have studied well but I feel like in some aspects I have lacked.  So I have been learning how to study more effectively.  Studying effectively isn't easy, but as I have tried harder, I have seen a big change in the things that I am retaining from everything that I have learned.  My study habits throughout the semester have only included studying for tests the night before and the day of.  But I have tried to start studying a few days before and then study a little bit every day until the day of my test.

Only studying the day before and the day of, also known as cramming, isn't effectively because it is a lot of information to remember all at once.  Also, if you cram, then right after the test you forget everything that you studied.  It is important to study effectively so that after you use that information on the test, you still remember it later on.  We are going to school to be able to remember/learn things rather than just get good grades.

I am going to start doing my best to study more effectively so I learn the material and retain it later on.  I am at BYU in order to learn and not good grades so I am going to study more effectively by trying to look at my material on the same day that I learn it and studying for my tests a few days in advance and looking at the material a little every day.  I know that if I do this, then I will learn a lot more and be able to use those things in my life.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your brother coming home! Oh and about studying, effective study makes me feel so much better. It is the worst when you leave the library after 3 hours and realize that you have accomplished nothing. I have found that if I set goals and time limits I get a ton more done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something that I've been working on this semester as well. The thing that has helped me the most was using Quizlet. There are some games on there, so its less of a chore to study. Also, there are tests so you don't have to keep studying the things you already know. Try it out. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is funny how everyone does the same “trash” study even though we know what the right way to study is. This semester was different from me because a learn how to study a little bit more efficient. Previous semester was studying night before or even not studying at all, not reading chapter assignment for class, and being disinterested. However, with the beginning of the junior core of Information System I started to study more and more because if I didn’t do it I would get an F in class. So goal is to keep this rhythm of studying through the rest of my BYU study.

    ReplyDelete