Saturday, September 20, 2014

Eternal Perspective

This week in my marriage and family class with Brother Brooks, we talked about our eternal perspective and specifically a talk given by Elder Uchtdorf.  The talk was entitled "Forget Me Not".  In this talk he talked about 5 things that we shouldn't forget to do and one of them stuck out to me more than the others.  He counseled us to forget not to be patient with yourself.  He talked about how God knows that none of us are perfect and that we are all going to make mistakes.  We need to be patient with all of our weaknesses and do everything we can so that one day we will be able to become like our Savior.

This is important because it is one of the most important lessons we can learn in this life.  I struggle a lot with the weaknesses that I have and sometimes it is hard to overlook those.  If we have that eternal perspective of being patient with ourselves, we will live a much happier life and we will be able to find those ways to become more like Christ.

Now what? Now I am going to look at my weaknesses as an opportunity to grow because I know if I do that then I will be much happier in my life.  I will also try not to focus too much on my weaknesses, and instead, look at the strengths in my life and how I can help people with those strengths.  I know this kind of patience won't come right away but as I work at it, day by day, I know that the Lord will help me to become a better person and help to make those weaknesses, that I have, become a strength.  All I have to do is be patient with myself.

2 comments:

  1. Nice remarks, Craig. You know, it helps me a lot to also remember why I'm being patient. Basically, if I know what I want in the long run, and I know that I'm making a real, conscientious effort to get there, it helps. I can realize that good things come to whose who wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig, those remarks were spot on! I really appreciate them because I feel that is definitely something that I struggle with as well. Sometimes it is really easy to be overly self-critical and not forgiving enough. We we do all that we can do to change, we can trust that Heavenly Father loves us and will be patient with us, so we should be as well. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete